Friday, August 15, 2008

Muncie Endurathon - Run...or walk

This is the final installment of the Muncie Endurathon...the Run/walk.

When I finally came in from bike portion, I was ready to do the 13.1m run. I got to my slot, grabbed my wet socks, and shoes, rung them out, put them on and then...I needed to go to the bathroom.

What I enjoy about the longer races especially the half-irons, tinman (old phrase) or 70.3s as they are commonly known now, is that they are more relaxed because of the distance. Taking an extra 10 seconds to put on socks or 30 seconds to use the port johns will not significantly affect your time because that time can be made up. In the shorter races, sprint and olympic, ever second counts, so I normally don't wear socks on the bike and am considering switching to the zoot shoes which were designed to run without socks. Did I need those shoes that day.

Everythin was fine during run, the rain stopped and the sun was starting to come out...it was getting hot...but luckily they were handing out wet towels...it was getting really hot...only 12.5 miles left.

After three miles, my feet started to hurt, not because of running but because of running with wet socks. I started to develop blisters...one on each toe and on each blister. I saw an elite athlete run in barefeet carrying his shoes...maybe he feels my pain.

Well...my high hopes of running turned into a walking. With the blistering heat and rolling hills, a normal walk turned into 16 minute per mile run up and down hills. It was brutal. I used the wet towel to cover my head. Oh yeah, when you are out in the heat, a visor just doesn't cut it...USE A FULL HAT!

200 meters from the finish line, I think everyone passed me except one or two competitors and I was about to let them pass me...so I ran...I ran until I reached the finished line....finally...my feet hurt.

No comments: