Friday, August 22, 2008

Bathroom break....

Another interesting question that I received was the call of nature during a race. All triathletes know that before the race, nature calls anywhere from 1-5 times. It may be natural but I think a lot of it has to with nerves. I try to drink 2 hours before the race because I don't want to risk having to go to the bathroom during the swim. The lines are ALWAYS long before the start.

Bathroom during the swim

This depends on whether or not you are wearing a wetsuit. If you are not wearing a wetsuit then you can anytime...what does it matter, you're in the water. But I do not recommend it if you are wearing a wetsuit. If you can wait, then during transition. During the half ironman, I always stop by the port-o-john because that amount of time is insignificant.

Bathroom during the bike

This is a tough one. I have seen pro cyclist stop and others just go on the bike. I have thought about it and considered practicing it but I just stop...I think it is safer and unless you are trying for a place at Kona (World Championships) or a podium spot, stopping would be better.

Bathroom during the run

Bushes, trees, cars and other large objects are your friends. The Muncie Endurathon actually had a port-o-johns at ever aid station.

No comments: