Monday, June 2, 2008

Terre Haute - Thunder in the Valley - First Race of the Season

Last Saturday I completed the first race of the season ...Terre Haute, Indiana....Thunder in the Valley. I had high hopes for the first one of the season but I came away not feeling so hot....
Last year, I arrived in Indy at about midnight, then after picking up my friend and fellow racer, Rob, we made to what we thought was Terre Haute at 2:30am. When we checked in we realized that it was another 20 minutes away. After 3 hours of sleep, I raced it...better yet...I completed it.

This year I left early..3pm from Chicago. When I got to Rob's, he still had to pack and when we finally started our trek to TH, it started to rain and I mean rain...I think we drove through a tornado. Even when we were stopped, the rain came down sideways and we couldn't see. The next day we saw the aftermath and it wasn't a tornado but the damage to several apartment complexes tells a different story.

The water was warm this time and it was a nice swim...in theory. For whatever reason, nerves fatigue...I wasn't feeling the swim. All those hours in the pool, all those times, I practiced the stroke went out the window when the announcer screamed GO! I was afraid to put my head completely in the water and my form completely disintegrated.

The bike...I have never had that many people pass me. I am a strong rider and I don't get passed that often...it was disappointing.

The run...two words...brick workouts. It was a 5m/8k run but I walked 25% of the way...

The first one is on the record books or on the bottom of a bird cage to use as liner....

....There's always the next one.

Here is the website to the triathlon: http://www.thtriathlon.com/

No comments: