Tuesday, June 24, 2008

75 miles...my back hurts...

Last Saturday, I rode 75 miles through the Northern branch of the Cook County Forest Preserve from my parents home to Highland Park near the Botanic Gardens and back which is a 25 mile loop. I completed the loop 3 times for a total of 75 miles. After the second loop, I stopped to get some new water bottles.

When completing a ride that long three issues arise: 1) pacing; 2) hyrdation and 3) nutrition. When it comes to the pacing issue, I for the most part, just tried to keep a steady pace of 18-20mph with an average speed of 17mph..this worked well until I hit mile 65 when I just became really tired. The difference between cycling in a triathlon and a cycling-specific race is body position. Even in cycling specific racing, cyclist drop down to the lower part of the handle bars, this is not as demanding on the body as riding in the aero position of tri/time trial bike. I spend most of the time in that position but when I reached mile 65, I couldn't handle it anymore and even got to the point of sitting up because my back hurt.

Hydration, was not a problem. When you are doing such a long ride, it is important to do it in loops so you can get new water bottles. Drinking water will not suffice because the body does not absorb the fluids quickly enough. I drink Gatorade Endurance because it is high in electrolytes and is served in most of the races. I usually drink 70% Gatorade and 30% water.

Nutrition...I get so hungry on the rides. I eat Gu gels every hour and either fig netwons or peanut butter sandwiches every half hour. The carbs are good but practically speaking, I get sick of gels and need something substantive.

Next week...75 miles with a 45 minutes run...how fun!!!!!

No comments: